Wednesday, June 29, 2011

ER's are stupid.

I woke up yesterday morning with an excruciating pain in the curvature of my left hip. It was terrible. But I'm not a complainer so I continued with my day. I had the same pain intermittently since Friday so I continued my normal way of dealing with my own health issues.....I just ignored it.

By lunch time I couldn't walk. The pain was radiating around my back and down to about mid thigh. My leg was having waves of numbness and I was nauseated. I was a sad excuse for a human being.

Soooo I did what any self respecting health professional would do. I Googled it.

You would be amazed what comes back in a search engine when you plug in left lower quadrant abdominal pain.....its enough to scare the beejeezus out of the least concerned people. So rather than lay on my butt and die......because according to Google that is EXACTLY what was going to happen.....okay so not exactly but close enough.....I called my step mom and my dad and asked them to watch Natalie while I went to the ER.

By the time I got to the ER I was dying.....my mind has a way of freaking me out so that's why I rarely focus on things for a long period of time.....I can see EVERY worst case scenario.....its just no fun......Anyways. So I was Triaged relatively quickly, but that's about all that happened quickly.

I sat there for hours. Contemplating logging my plight on Facebook....hmmmm.....noooo.....tacky.....looks like you're fishing for sympathy.....So I then thought I would blog about it while I was sitting there waiting to die.....Nope....that's not fun to read......So then I decided to do what everyone else was doing. Just sit there.....and I did....for a very long time.

After 5 hours, multiple labs, a renal CT, a nurse who couldn't give a proper IM injection to save her life and some highly invasive procedures we won't talk about, I left the ER with an apology and some Naproxen. Yeah, like the headache medicine....that's the one I'm talking about.

So there is good news and bad news. The good news is that I have no communicable diseases, my kidneys look fabulous, and I'm not dying after all.  The bad news is that they have no idea what is wrong with me.

I woke up in less pain today than I was yesterday. That's always a good thing, but its not due to the meds....I threw that script away.

My step mom and I joked about arthritis......but now I'm finding the idea less amusing and more probable. Either that or a mysteriously pulled muscle.....I just thought that I would remember doing something like that, especially seeing as how I've been at work all weekend and have been extraordinarily well behaved lately......hmmmm.

I think I'm going to stay away from Google today. Hope your week finds you well. Much love ~j

No comments:

Post a Comment