Monday, September 27, 2010

My apologies to the McGriddle, sort of.


They say that your taste buds changes every 7 years. That's what they say anyway. A couple of years ago I tried a McGriddle for the first time.....I was disgusted. Its was soggy, it was greasy, it took only one bite for me to write them off for a lifetime, or so I thought.

Its been a rough week for a good friend of mine who is stuck in the hole. His hemoptysis has gotten the upper hand temporarily, so he is on a hiatus until his recovery from his bronch and embolization. *fingers crossed* that he is back soon to tell us what's up....You can visit UnknownCystic by clicking here. Make sure to leave some well wishes and maybe an off kilter comment or two. I think he likes the abuse ;)

UC is a big fan of the McGriddle, and he's been on my mind a lot lately. So early in the week when we made a stop for breakfast at Mickey D's, I sat in the drive through pondering my own food choice. I am not a big fan of breakfast food at all. I don't do pancakes, not a big fan of sausage. Breakfast just never was my thing. Plus, I have this thing about grease....I don't really like it too much.

But with UC on my mind, and his never ending praise of the McGriddle, I ordered one. I did this trusting my own instinct that I wouldn't like it and with a smirk on my face knowing that I would have more fuel to harass UC after his next post praising the breakfast treat. I say next because one is coming, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day....he loves them that much :)

So as we drove away and food and enzymes were passed to Natalie, I stared into the bag. "So this is the what all the fuss is about huh?" , I thought to myself. It looked rather harmless. It didn't smell too hot though, I think it was the weird folded egg part. Eggs just don't do that naturally, ya know? :)

So I started to eat the little sandwich....I was confused. It wasn't soggy, it wasn't greasy, it was salty, sweet, crunchy soft, it was just really really good. Really good. I was excited and disheartened simultaneously. My plan was ruined.

So as badly as I wanted to be able to harass UC, I cannot. I would have a bacon, egg, and cheese McGriddle any day of the week. It probably wouldn't even have to be breakfast time, they're that much fun to eat.

After my 3rd trip to McDonald's for my new breakfast treat (in the past 7 days), I returned home this morning and looked up the nutrition facts....OUCH!!!!

Alas, I am pancreatic sufficient and to practice long term McGriddle eating would be devastating to my girlish figure, not to mention the whole increased risk for CAD and HTN. Just sayin' :)

However, for all of you CF moms and CF peeps, if you're looking for a kick start to your day at over 420 kcal, 18 gm of fat, 1110 mg of sodium.....this is definitely a good way to go. The cool part is that even after all of that, its so tiny, that it barely fills you up, so why not go for two? :)

So my plan has changed. Since I cant harass UC about anything, and I cant eat McGriddles without dire consequences and casualties in my wardrobe, I have decided that I am going to try to get Natalie to like them. She's a picky eater, but I'm confident that she can be won over.

So, my apologies to the McGriddle, I may just need you around afterall. Sort of.

much love ~j

No comments:

Post a Comment